Exploring Southwark and discovering its history
19 Tabard Street is a Grade II listed building that dates from 1891. The decorative stonework proclaims the name and nature of the business of the first occupants that has long outlived the company –
HARDING & SONS
TIN PLATE WORKERS
The reason for its listed status is given as “Architectural Interest: an eloquently detailed façade reflecting the nature of the business not only in inscriptions but also iconography ; Historic Interest: a vestige of a historic industry which was widespread in this part of London in the late C19.”
The Historic England website also gives some information regarding the history of the company:
“The Southwark trade directories first list George Harding & Sons at No. 19 Tabard Street in 1891, a date which accords with the building's design. The Ordnance Survey maps do not show the site in sufficient detail to determine differences between the maps of 1878/9 and 1896, but rebuilding work was being undertaken in the area during this time. Before Harding & Sons the site was occupied by Timothy Roche, a floor cloth dealer.
“The original George Harding set up as a tinplate manufacturer in 1835 in White Street, under the sign 'The Original Little Dust Pan'. His stocks were warehoused in the old Marshalsea prison building. During the late C19 and early C20 they also had offices and a warehouse at 207 Borough High Street (since demolished), Nos. 25-33 and 35 Long Lane (demolished) and 22 Tabard Street (demolished), all of which carried around 8,500 household and garden lines.”